Every guitar player uses a pick at some point in their playing and this is how to do it:
- Take your dominant hand and make a loose fist
- Hold your fist with the palm facing you and put the guitar pick between your thumb and index finger, by the first knuckle on the index finger.
- Make sure that the pick has the pointed side facing out, perpendicular with your thumb, with about a half inch of the pointed end of the pick sticking out, towards you.
- Hold the pick so it isn’t too loose or too tight
- Pluck the strings one at a time to get a feel for the pick, adjust if it feels too awkward
- At first it will feel really awkward and almost incorrect, but as you play it will get more natural.